AW: AW: network installation - wlan/plip

Hi Karsten,

I have a netgear WG511 (11 and 54 Mb/s, 802.11b,g) bought from a german electronic market discounter (cheap), because my Zyxel DSL WLAN-Router supports this.
You need a driver available as a patch for several kernel sources. I was sucessfull with 2.4.25 and 2.6.4 (I am using slackware by now but want to try out debian soon)
Here you can find the driver and a list with supported cards of the prism54 driver.
http://www.prism54.org/ -> supported cards

Another page from Jean Tourrilhes contains a WLAN howto and a lot of links, e.g.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/#whard

next you may find this self explaining link useful ;-)

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/

Here is a example vendor where you sometimes can see which chipset is in the particular products.

http://www.netzwerk-lan.de/
The ALL0192L from Allnet per example should work without problems (prism 3 chipset, works with prism2 module I beleave)

You will find more google-ing around...

Best is to take you notebook with you when bying the card or ask if you can bring it back if it is not working.

good luck

Erik Hofmann

Infineon Technologies AG
Corporate Center, IT Security