Re: PPPoE / Access Concentrator

On 16 Jun 2004, thghtcrm@tiscali.de wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2004 at 11:13, Daniel Pittman wrote:

[...]

>> That depends. Is this a "bridge mode" device, or does it handle the
>> PPPoE layer internally?
>
> My Zyair B-2000 V2 (I wasn't very precise in my last email) does
> handle PPPoE and has a DHCP server; I could access the Internet with
> Knoppix for example without any further configurations...I have a
> Toshiba Laptop and a D-Link DFE 660 Ethernet Cardbus. The built-in
> firewall is enabled.

Ah, right. pppoeconfig is for a setup like mine - I have an Alcatel
SpeedTouch Home, and run the PPPoE software on my Debian firewall
server.

If your Zyair thing runs the PPPoE bit, you almost certainly want to
configure the network card connected to the Zyair thing as "dhcp", and
it should (in theory) just work.

This stanza in /etc/network/inferfaces should be close to right:

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Replace `eth0' with the right Ethernet interface for your setup. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
there's a party going on