Re: New Sarge Net Installer and Grub

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Jeff Coppock wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:24:02 +1000
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

[...]

>> Day to day, neither is that much easier than the other to use,
>> frankly.

[...]

> Thanks for all this feedback. I'm definitely getting a feel for grub
> and liking it more and more. It's cool how dpkg rebuilds the menu.lst
> file when you install a new kernel built using kernel-package. It even
> adds a "SAFE" single-user mode boot entry for each kernel.

*nod*  I like the 'update-grub' script - which implements this - even if
it gets my naming scheme slightly wrong and occasionally disorders my
kernels.[1]

The support for more than two levels there is also nice, but...

...lilo, as shipped, does the same thing for two kernels using the
/vmlinuz, /vmliniz.olg symlinks.  So, I can't recommend it on only that
front. :)

       Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I use a '-machine' tag on the end, which it believes to have less
     priority than a '-rc1-machine' tag, so 2.5.6-machine boots *after*
     2.5.6-rc2-machine

--
It may sound strange coming from a research man, but an attempt to get too
many facts will often leave you without any real knowledge at all.