Re: New Sarge Net Installer and Grub

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Steinar Bang wrote:

>>> Also, why is the bootloader default changing from Lilo to Grub?
>
>> No idea. The developers liked it, its supposed to be the next thing
>> ... ;-) The only thing better I see about it is that you don't need
>> to reinstall it when you make changes to the entrees, other then
>> that it looks more complicated to me.
>
> Hopefully it's better at booting other OSes, such as XP.  I'm planning
> to try it out for that reason.

Having made the move quite some time ago, the biggest reason for using
grub for me is that it is *so* much easier to recover when things go
wrong.

Day to day, neither is that much easier than the other to use, frankly.

When something breaks - you install a new kernel and typo the install,
or forget to run lilo, or whatever, it's very hard to recover.
Alternately, when your hardware decides to renumber your BIOS hard disks
because the only disk on one of the two controllers died on you...

The ability of grub to present a command shell where you can inspect
disks, load a kernel and boot without needing to dig out special boot
media.

Being able to do that from a serial console was also very nice with some
remote hardware we had one time.

       Daniel

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;