Re: New Sarge Net Installer and Grub

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:24:02 +1000
Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

> >> No idea. The developers liked it, its supposed to be the next thing
> >> ... ;-) The only thing better I see about it is that you don't need
> >> to reinstall it when you make changes to the entrees, other then
> >> that it looks more complicated to me.
> >
> > Hopefully it's better at booting other OSes, such as XP.  I'm
> > planning to try it out for that reason.
>
> Having made the move quite some time ago, the biggest reason for using
> grub for me is that it is *so* much easier to recover when things go
> wrong.
>
> Day to day, neither is that much easier than the other to use,
> frankly.
>
> When something breaks - you install a new kernel and typo the install,
> or forget to run lilo, or whatever, it's very hard to recover.
> Alternately, when your hardware decides to renumber your BIOS hard
> disks because the only disk on one of the two controllers died on
> you...
>
> The ability of grub to present a command shell where you can inspect
> disks, load a kernel and boot without needing to dig out special boot
> media.
>
> Being able to do that from a serial console was also very nice with
> some remote hardware we had one time.

Thanks for all this feedback.  I'm definitely getting a feel for grub
and liking it more and more.  It's cool how dpkg rebuilds the menu.lst
file when you install a new kernel built using kernel-package.  It even
adds a "SAFE" single-user mode boot entry for each kernel.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User