New Sarge Net Installer and Grub

I've been experimenting with the new NetInst CD in VMWare, since I
don't have a scratch system. The installer defaults to Grub for a boot
loader and also defaults to installing into MBR.  The setup also uses an
initrd kernel.

This all fine and good, but I've been trying to compile a non-initrd
kernel (2.4.25 and 2.4.26), but they won't boot.  I've resorted to
building initrd kernels and I had trouble with those until I learned
that there is a patch for the kernel.org sources for cramfs, which is
included in the Debian kernel source packages.

I've been using non-initrd kernels for a long time and just want to
understand why one won't boot in this new environment.  Does anyone know
what the issue might be with this?

Also, why is the bootloader default changing from Lilo to Grub?

thanks,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer