Wireless problems under 2.6.5

Where do I turn next?

My wireless worked fine under 2.4.21.  I was using wlan-ng for my Prism2
based SMC2632.

I installed kernel-image-2.6.5-1-686 and trying to use the
kernel-supplied orinoco_cs kernel drivers.

My SMC card works fine for a few minutes then networking just hangs
without any messages in the logs on the laptop.

I'm wondering if:

1) Should I just go and buy a newer wireless card?  If so,
recommendations?[1]

2) Is the pcmcia code in the 2.6.5 kernel broken and should I build
from kernel-source-2.6.5 and from pcmcia-cs source from sf.net?

2.5) Does the pcmcia code in the kernel keep up
with the code at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/?

3) Is the problem with the orinoco drivers in the kernel and I should
switch back to building wlan-ng drivers for the Prism2 card?

My goal is/was to switch from building a custom kernel to using a
kernel-image package to make upgrading easier.  Oh, ya, so far this
hasn't been exactly easy...

[1] I also have an aironet 352 card, but using it makes my SMC access
point freeze after some time and I have to power cycle the AP.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org