Network config gui

Hello all..  I am a debian newbie.. So far I really enjoy it.. However,
on my old redhat/ximian installation I was able to switch networks very
easily using the network configuration gui to deactivate one network
card setting and activate the same card using another setting by using
some alias eth0:0 etc.

My goal is to not have to remember all the settings and have to type
then all in everytime I switch networks. How do I manage switching
networks the best?

ps. I tried whereami, laptop-netconf, switchconf.  these only hosed
other things like DNS settings.  Thanks, for any help.