Re: Network config gui

"linux.eqed" <linux.eqed@comcast.net> writes:

> Hello all..  I am a debian newbie.. So far I really enjoy it.. However,
> on my old redhat/ximian installation I was able to switch networks very
> easily using the network configuration gui to deactivate one network
> card setting and activate the same card using another setting by using
> some alias eth0:0 etc.
>
> My goal is to not have to remember all the settings and have to type
> then all in everytime I switch networks. How do I manage switching
> networks the best?

You can declare multiple networks in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface net-home inet static
        address 192.168.1.31
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1

and then switch networks with 'ifdown eth0; ifup eth0=net-home'.
(dns-nameservers only actually has an effect if you're using the
resolvconf package in unstable, though.)

	-- Abra Mitchell