Re: noflushd: making/having drives spin down.

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:57:35AM -0800, Mike Mestnik
wrote:
> > Normally you should also be able to set up so that the
> > laptop goes automatically to sleep when running out of
> > power. With this setting, the only way to actually kill
> > the computer is to let the battery run out, then let the
> > laptop alone for a couple of months until the battery
> > runs so low even "hibernate" dies (it does eventually,
> > on my T420).
> >
> Runn Awayy!  I hated laptops thinking for them selves and
> going to sleep when I wanted to work, this happened in
> windows.  Fact is the solution is sound and has been in
> use for ages as a so called screen saver.  Where the use
> input devices where monitored for inactivity, not if NSP
> was going to cut the power due to lack of payments or some
> other god like force(including small children).

That's not what I am talking about; I am talking about
running _out_ of power, which means your laptop will stop
being useful in the next 5 seconds. What is smarter, the
laptop shutting down properly and/or hibernating, or just
switching off to the risk of losing data? Apparently you
prefer the second, I don't.

> Firstly laptops are more likely to loose power due to
> spending most of there 'useful' lives unplugged.  It's
> much more likely for a battery to die than any of the
> events mention in my first paragraph.

You didn't read what I wrote.

> YES, I'd like my laptop to be useful up until the vary
> moment that electron movement cannot sustain it any
> longer.  It should be as if it where to be used in times
> of war %199 availability.

I agree. I don't want my laptop to go to sleep just because
I stop typing either.

/Y