Re: your mail

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:21:11AM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Well, no I didn't, but a private email led me to understand the error of
> my ways.  It still seems odd that I need to leave network.opts saying
> DHCP="n" if I want to get ifup to use dhcp.  But I do understand that
> that's correct.  Of course, it still didn't work...
>
> I've reinstalled pcmcia-cs just to make sure that I _do_ have a default
> network.opts (attached).

It's not. you need to purge it, then install it.

The stanza in network.opts doesnt apply, because it's not using
dhcp/bootp/whatever, and has no IP assigned. that's what the list of
it_true's at the bottom is for. In my default config, they're uncommented.

It seems backwards, I know. but if you leave that file alone, and use
interfaces(5), it'll work.

> But whatever's happening, I'm seeing 'ifdown' execute (correctly - it
> runs the firewall's stop script) but 'ifup' doesn't:
>
> cardmgr[308]: + /sbin/ifup: interface eth0 already configured
>
> At least I can see that it's _trying_ to run ifup.
> Mar 20 09:07:01 casio.othello.dyn.ca /etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke ifup eth0
> Mar 20 09:07:10 casio.othello.dyn.ca cardmgr[308]: + /sbin/ifup: interface eth0 already configured

Get rid of hotplug, it's getting there 'first'.

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike@ethernal.org>                      ZL4TXK, IRLP Node 6184

                 Contentsofsignaturemaysettleduringshipping.