Re: Wireless and 2.6 status ?

On 29 Dec 2003, Andrew McMillan<andrew@catalyst.net.nz> said:

[...]

> Hi Xavier,

Yo Andrew,

> I have a Linksys card (WPC-11 "Instant Wireless" ver.3) and I've
> switched to 2.6.0 here, but I do remember getting something like those
> sorts of messages ages ago when I switched to the in-kernel PCMCIA
> driver from the external ones.
>
> I believe that at that point I had to edit /etc/default/pcmcia from
> this:

> # Defaults for pcmcia (sourced by /etc/init.d/pcmcia)
> PCMCIA=yes
> PCIC=i82365
> PCIC_OPTS=
> CORE_OPTS=
> CARDMGR_OPTS=
>
> to this:
> # Defaults for pcmcia (sourced by /etc/init.d/pcmcia)
> PCMCIA=yes
> PCIC=yenta_socket
> PCIC_OPTS=
> CORE_OPTS=
> CARDMGR_OPTS=

I have tried the 2 configurations above but still have problems. It
seems to me that I have new problems. Now whenever I plug my WIFI card,
I have messages like this:

,----
| Dec 31 12:11:03 totoz cardmgr[1510]: socket 0: Linksys WPC11 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card
| Dec 31 12:11:03 totoz kernel: orinoco_cs: RequestIRQ: Unsupported mode
| Dec 31 12:11:04 totoz cardmgr[1510]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
`----

Maybe you can send to me either your /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and tell
me how you did configure you WIFI card (using /etc/network/interfaces
or using the built-in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts ?).

Also note that the only thing which refers to something like a mode is
in the interfaces files (wireless_mode managed). Do you think it is due
to this line.

My situation is as follow: I have a Linksys AP and want to use it with
my WIFI WPC11 Linksys card from my laptop. Maybe this can help.

> The only problems I have had getting my WLAN to work with 2.6.0 so far
> have been in disabling the ISA BUS support (hey, I won't need that
> will I? Yup, you will). Once I re-enabled it everything is working

I have removed ISA support from kernel too but obviously that didn't
fix anything here.

> fine, except I no longer get beeps when I insert/remove the card -
> probably a google search would tell me some module option or hotplug
> option somewhere that would fix that too... :-)

So do I ;) At card insertion nothing happens but "errors" above.

Regards,

zeDek
--
Xavier MAILLARD (GnuPG: 1024D/1E028EA5)