Re: Wireless and 2.6 status ?

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 07:03, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
> Hi,
>
> I have a linksys wifi card that worked pretty well with its linksys AP
> under kernel series 2.4.x but since my switch to 2.6, even if the card
> works, I am always disconnected.
>
> I have tons of messages telling things like: connection, connection
> lost. And so the card is unusable with that kernel. Anybody facing the
> same weird freakness or do I have missed something (again :)) ?

Hi Xavier,

I have a Linksys card (WPC-11 "Instant Wireless" ver.3) and I've
switched to 2.6.0 here, but I do remember getting something like those
sorts of messages ages ago when I switched to the in-kernel PCMCIA
driver from the external ones.

I believe that at that point I had to edit /etc/default/pcmcia from
this:

# Defaults for pcmcia (sourced by /etc/init.d/pcmcia)
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=

to this:
# Defaults for pcmcia (sourced by /etc/init.d/pcmcia)
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=yenta_socket
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=

The only problems I have had getting my WLAN to work with 2.6.0 so far
have been in disabling the ISA BUS support (hey, I won't need that will
I?  Yup, you will).  Once I re-enabled it everything is working fine,
except I no longer get beeps when I insert/remove the card - probably a
google search would tell me some module option or hotplug option
somewhere that would fix that too... :-)

Regards,
					Andrew
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053,  Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/             PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201       MOB: +64(21)635-694      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
               http://survey.net.nz/ - any more questions?