Re: Wireless speed

Luke Davis <ldavis@shellworld.net> writes:

> 7 to 8 PCs (Win flavors).
> 1 server (Debian Linux)
>
> Off another card of the server, will be a wired 12-16 Win machine network,
> probably on a different subnet.  There may at some point, also be a DSL
> link, on a third server card.
>
> The longest distance to the wireless hub, should probably be about
> 100 feet, through walls and floors.  However, if the signal quality
> is bad, we can maybe place a second hub on the second floor,
> depending upon ultimate topology.

Keep in mind that, these days, 802.11b access points (espcially ones
that aren't "wireless routers" or the like) are noticably cheaper than
Windows licenses.  If this is all being set up new, I wouldn't worry
about spending too much on APs; go ahead and put in one or two on a
floor, and check that you do have good signal everywhere.

	-- Abra Mitchell