Re: mail synchronisation between laptop and desktop

criggie said:
> Maildir would be a beautiful solution - because each email is a uniquely
> numbered file inside a directory structure.  Any of the two-way sync
> programs should be able to deal with that.  Why do you not want to
> switch to maildir format?  Its relatively easy too.

Seems to be easy enough, indeed. Till now, I've been reluctant to use
Maildir because of disk-space issues (Maildir is a great inode eater!),
and because my whole mail system (mutt, postfix, procmail) is configured
for mbox (and I have a lot of these folders).

> Whats the end goal anyway?  If you're getting email from an imap
> server... why not simply leave the mail on the imap server and use an
> imap-aware mail client on each machine?  I have my laptop and
> squirrelmail (webmail interface) using an imap server at home, so I can
> access mail from a desktop anywhere or my laptop, as long as theres a
> net connection.   Are you trying to find a problem for a solution?  :)

A solution :)

I don't want to leave mails on the server because I have limited storage
space there. And I want to be able to do offline reading, since most
places I travel to happen to be disconnected environents, or connected
via a regular 33k6 modem (which means slow and expensive bandwidth).

--
mike dentifrice