mail synchronisation between laptop and desktop

Hello out there,

I'm trying to find an efficient way to synchronize mail folders between
my laptop and my desktop computer, and would be glad to hear about some
possible (and working!) setups.

Here's my configuration and what I would like to do:

I'm using mutt on debian, and my mail folders are in mbox format (I
don't want to switch to Maildir, which is one of the reasons why I can't
find an easy solution, since so much people who sync seem to be using
Maildir :/). I fetch mail from a mail server using IMAP through SSH;
mostly to my desktop computer, but occasionnaly to my laptop computer.

I would like to maintain two copies of my Mail folders, one on the
desktop and one on the laptop. Both would be updated with mails I
deleted/wrote/received + their status, on a regular basis - say, each
time I sync :)

I've had a look at rsync, but it seems not to handle bidirectionnal
syncing, and cannot understand mbox contents, since it relies on file
modification date (which I think can lead to great errors, forget some
new messages and not suppress some deleted ones, etc.)

I've had a look at mailsync, but it can only connect to a remote host
via IMAP, and thus recquires the installation of an imapd server both on
the laptop and on the desktop. Plus it does not support ssh (which is
not such a big deal though, since it can be tunnelised).

I've also looked at isync, but it only supports Maildir.

So, any idea/experience?

Thanks in advance!

--
mike dentifrice