Re: mail synchronisation between laptop and desktop

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:22:12 -0400
"mike dentifrice" <fluor@m-net.arbornet.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to find an efficient way to synchronize mail folders
> between my laptop and my desktop computer, and would be glad to hear
> about some possible (and working!) setups.

> I'm using mutt on debian, and my mail folders are in mbox format (I
> don't want to switch to Maildir, which is one of the reasons why I
> can't find an easy solution, since so much people who sync seem to be
> using Maildir :/). I fetch mail from a mail server using IMAP through
> SSH; mostly to my desktop computer, but occasionnaly to my laptop
> computer.
>
> I would like to maintain two copies of my Mail folders, one on the
> desktop and one on the laptop. Both would be updated with mails I
> deleted/wrote/received + their status, on a regular basis - say, each
> time I sync :)

Maildir would be a beautiful solution - because each email is a uniquely
numbered file inside a directory structure.  Any of the two-way sync
programs should be able to deal with that.  Why do you not want to
switch to maildir format?  Its relatively easy too.

Whats the end goal anyway?  If you're getting email from an imap
server... why not simply leave the mail on the imap server and use an
imap-aware mail client on each machine?  I have my laptop and
squirrelmail (webmail interface) using an imap server at home, so I can
access mail from a desktop anywhere or my laptop, as long as theres a
net connection.   Are you trying to find a problem for a solution?  :)