Re: Non-standard laptop screen size

hello...

please stick to the list.

* Arnold <arnold@nurv.za.net> [2003-07-18 09:45 +0200]:

> Thanks a stack. I have never run into this prob before but your suggestion
> works like a dream.
> Is there a setting like that for X-Windows as well?

first, try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and step through the
configuration. if that does not help:

well, i do not have experience in fiddling with modelines, but you might
try to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to extend the entry Modes for your
DefaultDepth in subsection Display of the section Screen to include
1400x1050:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Default Screen"
    Device      "sis"
    Monitor     "LCD"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth   24
        Modes   "1400x1050" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

if you have good luck it, it works. if your display starts showing
visual noise, shut down X (ctrl-alt-bksp) as fast as possible, this
could be dangerous. :)

> * Arnold <arnold@nurv.za.net> [2003-07-17 14:46 +0200]:
> >
> > I have a Clevo 630 laptop with a SIS 650 VGA chipset. The maximum
> resolution
> > it can run is 1400 X 1050. As far as I know this is not one of the
> > "standard" resolutions with the height being the odd one out. I have tried
> > to install debian 3 on it but  I have this problem. It seems Linux picks
> the
> > resolution up of the screen based on the width and when it starts loading
> > and also when it runs in text mode, the bottom third of the text is always
> > dropped off the bottom of the screen. I though of loading X on it but
> Debian
> > doesn't have drivers for the SIS 650 as a standard and I am finding it a
> bit
> > tricky guessing what paramator it is asking for when the text is off the
> > bottom.
>
> if you use the debian default kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 you can pass the
> parameter "vga=791" at the boot prompt of lilo to activate a framebuffer
> resolution of 1024x768 on the console.

cheers,
 sebastian
--