Non-standard laptop screen size

Hi

I have a Clevo 630 laptop with a SIS 650 VGA chipset. The maximum resolution
it can run is 1400 X 1050. As far as I know this is not one of the
"standard" resolutions with the height being the odd one out. I have tried
to install debian 3 on it but  I have this problem. It seems Linux picks the
resolution up of the screen based on the width and when it starts loading
and also when it runs in text mode, the bottom third of the text is always
dropped off the bottom of the screen. I though of loading X on it but Debian
doesn't have drivers for the SIS 650 as a standard and I am finding it a bit
tricky guessing what paramator it is asking for when the text is off the
bottom.

Has anyone come accross this problem before and if you have did you find a
solution. I have also tried to connect the machine to a external monitor
with the sam result.

Any help is appreciated.

Arnold de Bruin
arnold@nurv.za.net