Re: ppp can't get a route?

From: "Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra" <lgcdutra@terra.com.br>

> > I'm not familiar with this tap0 type of interface
>
> Now that you mention it, neither do I.  I certainly don't remember

Me neither, but I thought it was obsolete - there's a kernel config parameter
for Tap or EtherTap...

> putting it there.  Would that perhaps be a Linux module or a Debian
> package that could have put it there?  Is there a database of all such
> interfaces explaning their meanings, usages and origins?
>

> > up the ppp interface.  You don't have to take eth0 down, just remove
> > the existing default route prior to pon.  This will allow ppp to set
> > the default route to the ppp0 interface.
>
> Hmm... since this is a machine to be used by a layman, I guess I should
> do something to make pon do that by itself.  Perhaps a script in
> /etc/ppp/ip-up?
>

> > Will having a default route to ppp0 solve your routing problem.  Or,
>
> I guess not, because that notebook will be used now and then on
> Ethernet... or will poff kill the default route when needed?

It _should_ be automatic.  I use ppp once a week, and ethernet the rest of the
time.  When I bring up ppp it always overrides the default route.  The ppp
config parameter is something obscure like "defaultroute" :-)

derek