How can i cool down my CPU?

Hi,

I've a debian woody system and although my system load is low, (i make a top and the i get arround 99.3% idle) my laptop burns my legs... I've enabled APM and the options Make Idle calls when Idle in the kernel but that doesn't seam to do anything... I runned windows on the laptop in
the past and back then it didn't get so hot like with linux...

Any tips for cooling it down? I've a P3 (not mobile) and i've tryed ACPI and i got the same issue...

Is there any daemon or whatever app to force the CPU to idle and cool down?

Thanks.
Paulo Lopes