External monitor with Compaq Presario 1600

L.S.,

I am wondering if it is possible to swap physical displays in Linux like I
can with W2K. My laptop has a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade i1 (rev 106)
according to cat /proc/pci. In my XF86 config I use the "trident" driver.

When I hook up an external monitor, it gets fed a signal and I can use it,
but I would like to be able to turn my TFT off, when I have an external
monitor attached.

Does anyone know if this is possible yet, or that swapping physical
displays isn't supported for this videocard?

Regards,

Arjen