Re: Proxy-configuration for different network-localtions

i all, I'm new to this list. I'm running sarge on an Acer TravelMate 630 and thought I'd subscribe to the list for all the sage advice out there ;)

Perhaps I might even be able to offer my own sage advice from time to time too...

Here goes.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:13:55AM +1000, Martin Schwenke wrote:

>     Frank> is it possible to automatically change the proxy settings
>     Frank> on Mozilla browser for example while connecting into a
>     Frank> different network with the laptop?
>
> This isn't easily possible without restarting Mozilla.

This probably isn't really an issue if your like me and want to reconfigure things for home or work.

> The best thing to do is run a lightweight proxy on your laptop, and
> restart it when you change networks.  That way, you don't have to
> reconfigure Mozilla, just the proxy it points to.

Another option (it is GNU/Linux after all) is to set up an auto-configure script[1] on your machine somewhere. I've only used this where you get the file from a web server, but I imagine file:// urls should be okay too.

The script could be set up to return the correct proxy based on your location (maybe match your ip address?). I'm not sure if this is possible from an auto configure script, i.e. I'm not sure what exactly is exposed to the script in terms of environment.

Alternatively, perhaps using netenv, you could publish different auto-configure scripts based on your location. This is probably better than having mulitple Mozilla configuration files.

The main caveat with using auto-configure scripts is that the correct one must be present when loading Mozilla. Otherwise, I think you'd have to open the proxy config settings withing Mozilla and reload the auto-configure script, which partly defeats the whole purpose of this.

Cheers,
Paul Bryan.

[1] http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

--