UDMA on IBM A31p

Hi,

I have some trouble with my Laptop-Harddrive. Does anybody know why it
can be that the HD is not automatically switching to UDMA-mode during
bootup?

ok, that's not a big problem. Because i can do a "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda"
and then everything's fine but it's a bit irritating to me because it
works fine without "hdparm ..." on the notebooks of my colleagues (which
are also IBM A31p). And it's even getting stranger, after an update to
kernel 2.4.21 hdparm no longer allows me to enable DMA mode (that's why
I'm back on 2.4.20 ;-) ).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Marcel

--
Marcel Gschwandl <tautau@gmx.ch>

The day Microsoft invents something that doesn't suck
is the day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge