Re: How can i cool down my CPU?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:36:49AM +0100, Paulo Lopes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a debian woody system and although my system load is low, (i make a
> top and the i get arround 99.3% idle) my laptop burns my legs...

You don't mention which hardware, so I can't tell if that's normal (a
desktop chip being used in a mobile chassis, perhaps?) or an immediate
warning to seek out a laptop repair center.

They do make lap pillows with little raised feet to pluck your laptop
down on, though, so what your legs get is a pillow on top, and what your
laptop gets is slightlu raised so there's some airflow under it.

> I've enabled APM and the options Make Idle calls when Idle in the kernel
> but that doesn't seam to do anything... I runned windows on the laptop in
> the past and back then it didn't get so hot like with linux...

Windows doesn't run as much of a system as Linux does, on the average.
You could try using less energy drawing apps, e.g. Fvwm or another
middleweight WM instead of a full K or Gnome desktop, learning if
console mode runs cooler, etc.

APM on most *really* modern hardware is basically untested, since modern
MSwin flavors use custom ACPI drivers.

> Any tips for cooling it down? I've a P3 (not mobile)

Oh, that might do it.

Is this "I can heat my lunch iunder there" warm or "I had to get treated for
welts" hot?

> and i've tryed ACPI
> and i got the same issue...

ACPI requires each piece of equipment in your system to be involved,
toning down their usage for any of (I think it's 4) levels of operation.
As such, you'll have to keep an eue on the acpi4linux project to learn
how much you can do about it.  Then, you need to tone it down to the
level you want, when you need that.

> Is there any daemon or whatever app to force the CPU to idle and cool down?
>
> Thanks.
> Paulo Lopes

If it's an Intel you might be able to get it to speedstep down to its
slower mode.

If you don't use the console much you can edit a few of the extra getty
entires out of your /etc/inittab.  And you can set up one of the runlevels
to have a lot less running than your normal "plugged into the LAN" mode
where you have more going on.  Read the man page on update-rc.d to tune
that to your taste; I usually use either runlevel 4, or runlevels 7
through 9 (after creating them) for that.

Sorry but I can't offer a lot more than that without knowing what
hardware is involved.  Nonetheless I hope it helps somewhat.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078