Re: Temperatur weirdnes

[I deleted the beginning of this thread, jumping in later instead]

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 03:35:35PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2002.11.27.0127 +0100]:
> > > I read somewhere that pressing Fn + z should solve the problem, but
> > > I've not had a chance to try it myself yet.
> >
> > This seems to work for me. Is there any documentation on this?
> >
> > I am going to call Dell tomorrow to find out...
>
> None of three "technicians" I spoke to at Dell ever heard of Fn+z !
> Speaks for the company, doesn't it?
>
> I think it causes the BIOS to reread the settings. I don't really know
> what a BIOS has to do with a temperature sensor. Anyway, will upgrade
> to A13 tonight. Maybe that's just going to fix it all...

When the temperature (allegedly) goes to 85 degrees, was it by any
chance 42 degrees before then?
    85 = 1010101
    42 = 0101010
which is almost too much to be a coincidence...

I see from another thread that you're also suffering from random lost
keystrokes - is this the same laptop?

If so, I would be inclined to run it:

 - without i8kutils : because of Dell's refusal to provide useful info
   to the i8k author - there is a small chance that this specific
   version of the BIOS does not like the way i8k tickles it.

 - without apm : buggy [DH]ell BIOS'es are not unheard of.  My BIOS had
   a bug where it would overcharge the battery, and thus kill it off
   much sooner than necessary.  I ended up upgrading the BIOS and
   getting non-dell batteries in protest.

 -  or perhaps with ACPI instead of APM for a walk on the wild side...

and see whether this helps...

My money is on a buggy BIOS - it's a [dh]ell after all ...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com        http://karl.jorgensen.com