Re: Problem with daemon when offline

Derek Broughton <dbroughton@netcom.ca> wrote on 05/11/2002 (20:07) :

> I guarantee that exim slows down when you start it unconnected to a
> network and it needs to do dns lookups.  In fact, if you can time the
> delay to multiples of 30 seconds I'd guarantee that's your problem
> (because typically that's what it takes DNS to time-out).  What I
> can't guarantee is that your configuration is such that DNS lookups
> are required.

The default setup if one install exim is that it is not run as a daemon,
but that inetd runs it when needed, so I have had no problems with the
laptop either when it is on-line or when I take it with me home and use
it off-line. However due to that spamassassin and exim eats all my
memory when I check mail on Monday mornings I got tips as to run both as
daemons. The problem now is that exim hangs for about 30-60 seconds when
I boot the system off-line (does not happen on-line) as it tries to do
DNS lookup I guess. Now what I tried was to install netenv and set it up
so I have two choices.

1) Office setup with network
2) Home setup as localhost only

The problem is that netenv is either buggy or something else is wrong,
because when I choose the home setup it still get setup like if it was
the office setup. So I was looking for something that worked.

Preben
--
Preben Randhol  --------------------  http://www.pvv.org/~randhol
«.., chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being