Re: Module 3c575_cb dropped from kernel-pcmcia-modules?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:21:33AM +0200, Frédéric Bothamy wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:39:12PM +0200, Jan T. Kim wrote:

> > I installed Debian r3.0 from the official CD set on a Sony notebook
> > computer, equipped with a 3com PCMCIA ethernet card:
> >
> >     % cardctl ident
> >     Socket 0:
> >       product info: "3Com Corporation", "3CCFE575BT", "LAN Cardbus Card", "001"
> >       manfid: 0x0101, 0x5157
> >       function: 6 (network)
> >       PCI id: 0x10b7, 0x5157
> >
> > After the initial installation, the network card worked fine, but then,
> > after switching the kernel to kernel-image-2.4.18-686, I could not get it
> > to work.
>
> [...]
>
> > I now have the following questions:
> >
> >     * Have I overlooked something obvious?
>
> No, it is really not obvious until I digged through the kernel source
> files, from the 3c59x.c file :
>
>     LK1.1.3 25 April 2000, Andrew Morton <andrewm@uow.edu.au>
>     - Merged with 3c575_cb.c
>
> You should then use the 3c59x.o module which is in every 2.4 Debian
> kernel (except the bf2.4 !).

Thanks, this seems to be the solution indeed. After manually installing
the 3c59x module, the network comes to life for this notebook.

Currently, I struggle to figure out how to persuade the system into
/etc/pcmcia/config-2.4 file, in the section

    card "3Com 3CCFE575B/3CXFE575B Fast EtherLink XL"
      manfid 0x0101, 0x5157
      bind "3c575_cb"

I've tried replacing that with

    card "3Com 3CCFE575BT Megahertz PCMCIA Card"
      manfid 0x0101, 0x5157
      bind "3c59x"

and adding

    devicd "3c59x"
      class "network" module "3c59x"

but to no avail. How do I get the module to load automatically when
needed?

Greetinx & thanx in advance again, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |