Module 3c575_cb dropped from kernel-pcmcia-modules?

Hi all,

I installed Debian r3.0 from the official CD set on a Sony notebook
computer, equipped with a 3com PCMCIA ethernet card:

    % cardctl ident
    Socket 0:
      product info: "3Com Corporation", "3CCFE575BT", "LAN Cardbus Card", "001"
      manfid: 0x0101, 0x5157
      function: 6 (network)
      PCI id: 0x10b7, 0x5157

After the initial installation, the network card worked fine, but then,
after switching the kernel to kernel-image-2.4.18-686, I could not get it
to work.

After some web browsing and messing around, I figured out that the
card appears to have the 3Com 575 chipset and to require the 3c575_cb
kernel module. Upon browsing package contents, I found out that this
module (along with the cb_enabler module upon which it depends) is
only included in the kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 package. So I installed
that in place of the 686 package. Now, the card works again, and the
output of lsmod confirms that the modules mentioned above are indeed
used. However, I'd prefer to be able to use the 686 kernel...

I now have the following questions:

    * Have I overlooked something obvious?

    * Why are the modules not in the pcmcia-modules package?

    * If there is a reason for that (e.g. my card is considered outdated,
      crummy, exotic or somesuch), would it be reasonable to set up an
      additional package with "outdated" (or whatever) modules?

    * Is there a simple instruction sheet for building a kernel with
      the modules I need and otherwise identical to the 686 kernel?

    * Finally, what is the idea behind this "bf variant"? All I've found
      is the package is "primarily intended to be used as the initial
      installation kernel". Any acronym expansion on "bf"?

Greetinx & thanx in advance, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |