bash: ./setiathome: Permission denied

I'm using Woody kernel 2.4.18 with bash 2.05a-11.

I've had trouble running some scripts, including the setup script for
Openoffice.org 1.0, the installation script for tomsrtbt 2.0.103, and now
setiathome. I installed OpenOffice.org from debs, and booted into Mandrake
to build tomsrtbt.

I'm logged in as ronin, the seti directory and all files in it are owned
by ronin, owner and group have execute permission for the directory and
the file, but I get get this result:

ronin@sirius:~/files/seti$ ./setiathome
bash: ./setiathome: Permission denied
ronin@sirius:~/files/seti$

In my home directory, I created a script to list all debs installed and
write the results to a file. No problem running that script.

I'm baffled.

--
Kevin