Re: Module 3c575_cb dropped from kernel-pcmcia-modules?

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:39:12PM +0200, Jan T. Kim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed Debian r3.0 from the official CD set on a Sony notebook
> computer, equipped with a 3com PCMCIA ethernet card:
>
>     % cardctl ident
>     Socket 0:
>       product info: "3Com Corporation", "3CCFE575BT", "LAN Cardbus Card", "001"
>       manfid: 0x0101, 0x5157
>       function: 6 (network)
>       PCI id: 0x10b7, 0x5157
>
> After the initial installation, the network card worked fine, but then,
> after switching the kernel to kernel-image-2.4.18-686, I could not get it
> to work.

[...]

> I now have the following questions:
>
>     * Have I overlooked something obvious?

No, it is really not obvious until I digged through the kernel source
files, from the 3c59x.c file :

    LK1.1.3 25 April 2000, Andrew Morton <andrewm@uow.edu.au>
    - Merged with 3c575_cb.c

You should then use the 3c59x.o module which is in every 2.4 Debian
kernel (except the bf2.4 !).

>     * Why are the modules not in the pcmcia-modules package?

No idea, maybe the chipset is the same for ISA or PCI card and PCMCIA
? At least, this saves you the pain to set up properly PCMCIA.

[...]
>     * Is there a simple instruction sheet for building a kernel with
>       the modules I need and otherwise identical to the 686 kernel?

Install the kernel-package package and follow the instructions in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz (you may want to copy the
/boot/config-2.4.18-686 file to /usr/src/linux/.config to have the
default options be the ones from the 686 kernel).

>     * Finally, what is the idea behind this "bf variant"? All I've found
>       is the package is "primarily intended to be used as the initial
>       installation kernel". Any acronym expansion on "bf"?

Boot-floppies ? This name and the function are described there :
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html
Basically, it is a 2.4 kernel whereas every other kernel choices are
2.2.20 based.

Fred