Re: Woody on Sony VAIO PCG-8A6M, GRX316G

Hi Charbel,

> >   I am both new to debian and new to sony's vaio.
> >
> Nice machine, isn't it ?
So you've got the same machine? Great.
I don't know. Haven't done much with it yet, but I guess so (this is the
reason I bought it ;))

> I don't know what Woody gives on this machine,
> but unstable works great :
As I said .. This is the first time not using SuSE. So there is a newer
version of debian avaliable but woody? How do I get it? I had a look at
the site and found a "testing"/"unstable" version. So it is this one,
right?

Would this mean I will get XDFree 4.2 and the patched kernel with it?

>  - XFree 4.2
>  - kernel 2.4.18 compiled with the latest ACPI patch get soundcard
> working (both alsa and oss drivers).
Is it included in the unstable version?!

>  - e100.o driver ethernet borrowed from intel :
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?ProductID=407&DwnldID=2896
>  - soft modem is also usable with hfs driver :
> http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/index.html
>
> If you need help, let me know.
Thanks for that.

Could we go through it step by step. You give some directions for step
one. I'll carry it out and come back to you???

Cheers,
Mariano