Re: Woody on Sony VAIO PCG-8A6M, GRX316G

Hi again Mariano,

> As I said .. This is the first time not using SuSE. So there is a newer
> version of debian avaliable but woody? How do I get it? I had a look at
> the site and found a "testing"/"unstable" version. So it is this one,
> right?
>
> Would this mean I will get XDFree 4.2 and the patched kernel with it?

Sorry, I was unclear and didn't pay attention to the fact that you where
new to debian. I'll try to remember what I did, and give you some
details.
PLEASE! someone, correct me if i'm wrong somewhere in my explanations.

I - XFree 4.2:

 you can get it by adding this line:

deb http://iesc.trasno.net/xfree-4.2.debs sid/i386/

 to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and doing something like:

% apt-get update
% apt-get install xserver-xfree86

You'll get a version labelled 4.2.0-0pre1v1 or something.

II - Build kernel with necessary ACPI support for your Vaio.

You need it or soundcard and maybe modem won't work (at least not
together with your ethernet card).

AFAK, you'll need to build your patched kernel yourself. Under debian,
it's simple and easy.

1 - get kernel sources and debian kernel building utilities.

% apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18 kernel-package

will give you both kernel sources tarball and the utilities used to
build a kernel from source the debian way.

2 - download the ACPI patch. Choose the latest that match your kernel
version:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/acpi/acpi-20020709-2.4.18.diff.gz?download

3 - patch the sources:
Kernel sources where downloaded to /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.18.tar.gz.
Unpack sources, apply acpi patch:

% cd kernel-source-2.4.18
% zcat ../acpi-xx.diff.gz | patch -p1

4 - Configure and build your kernel:
At top of kernel sources:

% make-kpkg -rfakeroot -config=x --revision=myvaio.1 kernel_image

This will bring the good old Tk interface to configure your kernel.
 - enable experimental features (in the first menu, general setup or
something)
 - locate where ACPI features are (second or third menu I guess), enable
them all.
 - configure other parts, exit and save. Wait for kernel to compile.

If everything goes well, you'll end up with a home made debian
kernel-image in /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.18_myvaio.1_i386.deb.

II - Ethernet.
Download Intel's driver:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?ProductID=407&DwnldID=2896

% tar xfz e100-2.1.15.tar.gz
% cd e100-2.1.15/src
% make clean && make

You end up with a new kernel module: e100.o

III - Install It

% sudo dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.18_myvaio.1_i386.deb
% sudo cp e100.o /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/

IV - Reboot and cross your fingers :-)

Charbel.