Re: After discussing on LCDs in Debian-laptop, did you get spammed by Sharp Systems as well?

> I have to say, I am terribly surprise gnu.org and debian.org archive our
> mail without obfuscation :(

Obfuscation doesn't help, even if you use some rotating obfuscation.
Most, if not all of these, can easily be broken by Perl Regexps.
So any spammer just needs to add a few regexps to his bot and he will
get all obfuscated addresses as well.
But obfuscation is very annoying to regular users... they won't add
these regexps to their mail clients so they can hit "reply", instead
they'll have to fix you address on each reply. Annyoing.

Therefore obfuscation is not a solution (neither is it for security ;)
Better solutions include filters like spamassassin and razor, as well as
using troll-boxes... (setup mail boxes like aaaa-i-get-it-first@domain
and hide these addresses on the webpages, and have mail that is sent to
these boxes added to blacklists)

The other way is to try to stop this abuse at least by serious
companies like Sharp Systems, by telling them that they suck.

Greetings,
Erich

--
        erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
        A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.