Re: After discussing on LCDs in Debian-laptop, did you get spammed by Sharp Systems as well?

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:

> > Today i got a spam by Sharp Systems, offering a LCD display.
> > Did any of you (especially the ones who did participate in a discussion
> > related to LCD displays) get that spam, too?
> > Please tell me, i'm trying to find out why they spammed me...
> > (It wasn't among the usual spam that is eaten by my filters, but it was
> > only sent to my @debian.org address. I usually get spam multiple times,
> > this one i got only once, and it had proper headers. So it has to be
> > directed by some way, probably abuse of debian mailing lists, a thing we
> > have to stop - but it might have been some other reason they spammed me,
> > probably they spammed all @debian.org addresses?)
> > So if you got one, too - please tell me.
>
> I've got this spam message as well (to my @scnsoft.com address). Seems like
> they grepped maillist to get per-person addresses.

While I didn't get this spam (I have talked about LCD's in the past, I
think), I did a ssearch on my email address, and found this and a bunch of
other lists are archived for all to see around the web, without our email
addresses obfuscated. Needless to say, I was mightily PISSED OFF about
this, but there is nothing I can do, short of not posting here, because I
can't obfuscate my mail address when using mail!
USENET yes, mail no. Short of forging my headers :(

I have to say, I am terribly surprise gnu.org and debian.org archive our
mail without obfuscation :(

But then again, kinda a moot point for me, I find my mail address is
everywhere but my own site, because I have no control about that. When I
commandeer the world, it might be a different matter :)

I'm sorry, but all questions must be in the form of a question.
-- pieceoftheuniverse