Re: Asix AX88190 PCMCIA NIC on a laptop

From: "Johan Ehnberg" <johan@ehnberg.net>

> A big thanks goes out to:
> Derek Broughton, Stephen Gran, Frank Trenkamp, and Pablo C. Without your
> help I'd still be running in that forest.
>
> One question remains to Pablo C.:
> I had the 2.4.18 kernel and pcmcia version 3.1.33 (newest is .34). So I
> had a recent enough system. What socket driver do you use, and did you
> have to tweak some IRQ or IO options to make it work?
>
> <big snip>
>
> > Never had a problem with cheap cards, myself.
>
> We'll, you're lucky. Especially when it comes to installation crucial
> cards like NICs. You _want_ them to work.

You're very welcome.

Actually, I don't think I've been that lucky.  The real trick is to use
yenta_socket in the first place, after that I've found everything clicks
into place.

Of course, the other issue is whether a cheap card just needs good
configuration, or provides cheap results when it _is_ configured correctly.
There are some ethernet cards I've seen mentioned that seem to have real
trouble with dropped packets.
--
derek