Re: Asix AX88190 PCMCIA NIC on a laptop

Hi,

> > cardmgr is supposed to first identify and beep, then configure and beep.
> > But there is only one low beep, meaning that identifying failed. Is
> > there a way i can force drivers, or identification? cardmgr says:
> >
> > cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139

I have the same card, had the same problem with the stock pcmcia-cs sources.
My card is a cheap no-name "AllNet ALL0142+" that could not be identified by
cardmgr.

giedi:/var/log# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
  product info: "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet", "", ""
  manfid: 0xffff, 0x1090
  function: 6 (network)

Important are the product info and manfid lines. I had to manually add the
following lines to /etc/pcmcia/config:

card "PCMCIA Fast-Ethernet"
  version "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet"
  manfid 0xffff, 0x1090
  bind "axnet_cs"

After restarting pcmcia services the card was recognized. The puzzle was how
the card could be identified by cardmgr through version and manfid strings
and binding the axnet_cs driver to it. The "card" line can consist of an
arbitrary string like "ASIX AX88190 based card".

There already several entries for a Asix AX88190-based card in
/etc/pcmcia/config; try to build one yourself that matches the information
from "cardctl ident" output, especially manfid and version. Restart pcmcia
and hopefully the card gets identified.

Regards,
  Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                           ftrenkam at uos.de
 PGP fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653