Re: Asix AX88190 PCMCIA NIC on a laptop

Frank Trenkamp wrote:
Hi,

cardmgr is supposed to first identify and beep, then configure and beep.
But there is only one low beep, meaning that identifying failed. Is
there a way i can force drivers, or identification? cardmgr says:

cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139

<snip>

Important are the product info and manfid lines. I had to manually add the following lines to /etc/pcmcia/config:

card "PCMCIA Fast-Ethernet"
  version "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet"
  manfid 0xffff, 0x1090
  bind "axnet_cs"

<snip>
There already several entries for a Asix AX88190-based card in /etc/pcmcia/config; try to build one yourself that matches the information from "cardctl ident" output, especially manfid and version. Restart pcmcia and hopefully the card gets identified.

Regards,
  Frank

Thank you!
I've made some new discoveries in the fantastic pcmcia world :). One is that I won't accept any cheap cards anymore. Thou getst what thou payest for.
But I still might need some help:
I tried my orinoco card and it went smooth, so no problems with the setup as a general. I got the axnet_cs module to load at insertion, but it gives me an error message:

axnet_cs: GetFirstTuple: No more items

or (when bound to pcnet_cs, which includes 8390)

pcnet_cs: GetFirstTuple: No more items

I've found some oddities (same for both sockets):

I noticed the manfid is not necessary, and removed it from my card entry, only then was the card identified (still, falsely).

cartctl ident shows both an manfid and PCI id for the card:

product info: "Realtek", "Rtl8139"
manfid: 0x0000, 0x024
function: 6 (network)
PCI id: 0x10ec, 0x8139

cat /proc/pci gives no ports or card information:

Bus  2, device   0, function  0:
  Ethernet controller:  (rev 16)
    Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.

lspci gives an error:

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci/02/00.0
lspci: Unable to read 64 bytes of configuration space.

The card runs under RedHat 7.3, but with totally different drivers (yenta_socet, mii, 8139too).

By the way, if this can be solved in a normal mannor, is this something that should be reported to the maintainers of pcmcia-cs (config entries, supported cards etc.)?

--
Johan Ehnberg
johan@ehnberg.net