Re: Asix AX88190 PCMCIA NIC on a laptop

A big thanks goes out to:
Derek Broughton, Stephen Gran, Frank Trenkamp, and Pablo C. Without your help I'd still be running in that forest.

One question remains to Pablo C.:
I had the 2.4.18 kernel and pcmcia version 3.1.33 (newest is .34). So I had a recent enough system. What socket driver do you use, and did you have to tweak some IRQ or IO options to make it work?

<big snip>

Never had a problem with cheap cards, myself.

We'll, you're lucky. Especially when it comes to installation crucial cards like NICs. You _want_ them to work.

The card runs under RedHat 7.3, but with totally different drivers
(yenta_socet, mii, 8139too).

Then why don't you set it up that way?  It should be workable.

Actually, I did, and it works. Thanks for the idea. I took the kernel from RedHat 7.3 and installed it in my debian base. I had to insmod the socket driver, ds, mii and 8139too manually, but it went smooth. Now I'm downloading the rest of my debian system.

If someone is interested, this is what seemed to be wrong:
The socket driver in the stock kernel bf2.4 did not detect the card correctly, resulting in no resources being assigned to it. The yenta_socket does this right. This I think, in its turn, requires me to use the mii 8139too modules. But I haven't looked into it enough yet.

I'm going to experiment by combinig different kernels, modules and setups, and if I find a solution, I'll get in contact with the maintainers of pcmcia-cs. It turned out that this card I have is the same as Edimax 32bit CardBus Fast Ethernet EP-4103 (EP-4101, 16bit, is supported). It only has a different sticker. Other people could appreciate not having to cross-dist copy a kernel to install debian.
:)

Tack så myket! (thank you very much in swedish).

--
Johan Ehnberg
johan@ehnberg.net