Re: Battery Life

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 01:51:10PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 06:07:10PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > > My main point is that the journalling filesystem isn't a *huge* strain on
> > > power resources (even if you can do even better with just ext2).
> >
> > Well, it prevents noflushd from powering down your hard drive. I tried
> > it. After switching to ext2 i ocassionally hear my drive power down, and
> > that certainly will save power.
> >

> Yes, the power-down is quite amusing with ext3.  Sometimes when I'm doing
> something that runs in memory, so I don't need the hard drive, I hear the
> hard drive power down.  Just as I'm thinking "at last, some peace and
> quiet", about 15 seconds later it powers up again.  I guess that must be the
> journal getting written or something.
I experienced the very same, but turned it off for the following reasons:
power: the spinning-up would consume more power (imo) than the 15s of peace
save.
durability: spinning up and down contiously would put a huge strain on the
hdd... Don't know if the laptophdd's are specially hardened
noise: a continious noise is much less irritating than a renewed noise every
X minutes :)

--
  Greetings
  Joris