Re: Battery Life

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:28:25PM -0700, Derek Gladding wrote:
> (replying to this on-list)
>
> On Monday 24 June 2002 12:38 am, Joris wrote:

> > > Have you got your kernel compiled to "make CPU Idle calls when Idle
> > > ?"
> > >
> > > Are you running a journalling FS (ext3 etc) which will stop your HD
> > > from ever spinning down ?
> > >
> > > Those are the two biggest things (in my experience) which affect
> > > battery life.
> >
> > I assume that the former is a Good Thing (tm) and the later is an
> > energy waster?
>
> Yes, very much so. I was amazed at how much different the CPU Idle calls
> made to battery life - not only does the CPU not draw as much power, but
> the reduced heat means the fan doesn't need to kick in as often.
I still have an undeterminated overheating/overcooling problem...

It's somehow related to linux however, win98 keeps everything cool.

And I don't know where to start to debug :/ (the fan sometimes keeps
spining, well below the normal "cool enough" temperature, or sometimes
overheats, untill system halt and I cool manually (don't ask)

--
  Greetings
  Joris