Re: Boot Loader

 On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, R.Stepanyan wrote:

> Basically I need to install into hda mbr a boot loader which
> 1) is menu driven (don't ask why) - so, not LiLo
> 2) will work with Win98 installed on hda1 and Linux on hda3 (LiLo is on
> hda3 to boot linux) - I know, win98 writes smth to the boot sector from
> time to time. So, I do not want to reinstall the boot loader each time I
> make an update in Win98.
> 3) supports boot after hybernation in Win
> 4) is relyable  :)

1) Latest lilo can display a red boot menu, cycle through it with arrow
keys, boot with enter.

2) see no reason why lilo will have a problem with this, latest lilo
doesn't have the 8gig limitation of yesteryear

3) I don't see what a boot loader has to do with hibernation - resuming
from hibernation isn't booting, it's resuming the computer to the state it
was in before suspend.

4) I've had no reliability issues with lilo, and it's a load easier to get
back up and running than a zapped Win bootloader.  I fairly recently
swapped out laptop HD's using tar.gz'd filesystems, getting linux booting
again was dirt simple, getting win98 booting again took a good bit of
know-how that a lot of people nowadays simply wouldn't have had - though
with google it probably would be findable by a fair many.

> I used to use NT loader (it was Win2k + Linux on the machines), but now
> is going to downgrade to Win98. The reason is: Windows has to reside on
> its own partition, but be able to boot:
> A. normally, using this boot loader
> B. from VMWare, installed in Linux - that's what win2k failed

A) booting normally through the boot loader is its job, naturally - all
will match this criteria

B) I'm not certain I understand this - you want to boot directly into a
fullscreem VMware session of Windows running under linux?  I was under
the impression that VMware OS's couldn't share with their Windows
counterparts - that you needed a separate virtual hard drive for
VMware's copy of the OS to be installed on... unlike using Wine.
At any rate, it will be a bit to set up to boot directly into a VMware
session - have to fire up runlevel 3 and log in automatically as someone,
with an xinitrc that loads VMware.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Of course, you always have the option of using NT's bootloader even though
you're going to be using 98/linux - although the legal and technical
aspects of that leave much to be desired.

-Martin N.