Re: Boot Loader

From: "R.Stepanyan" <R.R.Stepanyan@chem.rug.nl>

> Basically I need to install into hda mbr a boot loader which
> 1) is menu driven (don't ask why) - so, not LiLo

Why not?  My lilo is menu driven, and always has been. Use boot-menu.b.

> 2) will work with Win98 installed on hda1 and Linux on hda3 (LiLo is on
> hda3 to boot linux) - I know, win98 writes smth to the boot sector from
> time to time. So, I do not want to reinstall the boot loader each time I
> make an update in Win98.

It never has.  _Perhaps_ if you upgraded windows it would overwrite your
MBR - I don't recall if I've ever done that on a Linux system (I doubt it).
But no version of windows has ever written anything to my boot sector
between upgrades.

> 3) supports boot after hybernation in Win

Lilo.... My system currently has Debian linux and WinME, boots with lilo,
and the odd time I go into Windows I always shut down via hibernate.

> 4) is relyable  :)

Lilo...

I expect other boot loaders will work just as well, but I've never had a
need to use anything beyond what was initially installed on my system.
--
derek