Re: Boot Loader

Hi!

cyn wrote (Mon 2002-Apr-29 07:19:19 -0400):

> 3) I don't see what a boot loader has to do with hibernation - resuming

Don't know if this is what "RS" is faced with, but recent Dell
computers come with a weird mode of suspend-to-disk: They save
the contents of RAM to a special partition, remove the
"bootable" flag from the currently marked partition and set it
on the suspend-partition.

They're assuming one's using a DOS boot loader or something
equivalent which is looking for the "bootable" flag to decide on
which partition to boot from.

To deal with this, I have a "fdisk /mbr" created MBR and a lilo
at the beginning of the partition which is usually marked as
"bootable". More on
<http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/LatC400-linux.html>.

Cheers, Marcus

--