Re: ACPI and suspend

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 03:06:56PM -0500, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Except that, afaik, BIOS suspend-to-disk simply isn't a possibility if
> you have an ACPI bios

That's not completely true.  I have a Compaq Presario 1700, ACPI only.
I dual-boot between Win 98 and Debian potato.  I'm still running a
2.2.* kernel so I don't have ACPI support in Linux, although I of
course do in Windows.

Surprisingly, suspend-to-disk mostly works for me under Linux, with
two minor exceptions:

1.  I have to be out at the console when I hit the key.  If I'm in X,
    the box hangs.  I can be running X, just need to Ctrl-Alt-F* to a
    console window first.

2.  It doesn't reset the time when it starts back up.  I've gotten
    into the habit of running "hwclock --hctosys" as soon as I
    restart.

Other than that, suspend-to-disk works great.  Now if I could only
tell how much battery life I have left... :-)

Walt