Re: ACPI and suspend

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Derek Broughton <dbroughton@netcom.ca> writes:
>
>> Almost. Level 1 is easy and fully supported. If you're running the
>> latest ACPI patches with swsusp you can do suspend-to-disk, but over
>> on ACPI-devel they're still arguing about how much of the swsusp
>> stuff to incorporate.
>
> Cool!  Is that in the version in the 2.4 kernels, or only in 2.5?

There have been patches around for a while. Despite having a laptop that
does not feature suspend-to-disk at all, I have not used them. There are
semi-regular reports of yet-another disk corrupting bug in the swsusp
patches...

The mailing list is probably a good place to visit, at least before
committing. Links from:

<http://falcon.sch.bme.hu/~seasons/linux/swsusp.html>

> (I have to try 2.5 anyway to see if the latest works with my
> laptop... apparently 2.4.18 doesn't.  Strange, I thought it used to on
> older ones....)

Watch out for recent releases. Everything from 2.5.1 to 2.5.5-pre*
corrupted data on-disk for me. 2.5.6 is stable, without extremes of
load[1], running IDE disks in DMA mode.

PIO mode disk devices are still broken, in data-corrupting ways,
apparently, in that revision. I have not tried anything newer because
they have vastly /more/ dramatic changes to the IDE driver in them.

So... do take a backup before you go playing with the 2.5 series. :)

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Which are rumored, but not provably, to trigger corruption.

--
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt
the impossible, and achieve it, generation after generation.