Re: Windows XP + Linux

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 12:39, Luis Mendes wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am about to install Woody in my new Toshiba 1800-314 which came with
> > a copy of WinXp Home Edition installed. In the past I had linux
> > coexisting with different flavours of Windows (3.11, 95, 98) but never
> > with XP. I am a bit worried because after a search I got conflicting
> > views on how easy it is to get linux coexisting with XP. As
> > anyone in this list tried it sucssefuly? One other related issue is
> > that XP comes installed in a WIN32 filesystem but I can convert it to
> > NTFS. Should I do this? will Linux be able to see my XP partition in
> > an NTFS filesystem.
> >
> > I looked in the archive for this list but it seems this topic was
> > never raised.
> >
> > I have a 15G unpartitioned disk.
> >
> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Luis
>
> Well, personally, I would call Toshiba, demand a refund for XP after
> rejecting the license terms, and then proceed to put Debian on there.

I wouldn't do that, unless you don't mind having a laptop with no
power management support.  In my experience, most newer Toshibas have
problems with both APM and ACPI in linux.

> HOWEVER, in regards to your questions:
>
> Converting to NTFS would be good if you were going to spend a LOT of
> time in Windows, however keep in mind that there's still no real
> reliable way to WRITE to and NTFS partition. (Though you should be able
> to read from it just fine.)
>
> My desktop machine is currently running XP and Debian in a dual boot
> configuration with no problems (running Cygwin with XFree86 while in
> Windows to make it bearable). I am using the XP bootloader however, so
> if you're intending to try using LILO as your primary bootloader I don't
> know if it will work. As long as you stick with letting XP handle the
> MBR though, everything should work just fine. Good luck.

LILO works fine as well.  Just be wary that any time you install any
MS OS, it will clobber the MBR, thereby disabling LILO.  You'll need a
boot disk to re-enable it...

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>