Re: Dell Inspiron 2500

> I have no trouble with X.  ALSA was simple once I finally realized that the
> .deb package wasn't creating a required link from /etc/modutils/alsa ->
> /etc/alsa/modutil/0.9.  APM is definitely toast. PCMCIA works fine for me,
> but that seems fairly dependent on the cards you're using.
There are two things about PCMCIA/Cardbus:
- the IRQ provided to the Cardbus driver
- the IRQs provided to the plugged devices, which can be different of
  the Cardbus driver.

> I'm not having this problem.  I'm getting the kernel messages:
>   IRQ routing conflict for 01:03.n, have irq 9, want irq 5
I also *had* it *before* applying my patch. But as long as the patch
prevents the irq 9 provided to ACPI from being provided to another
device, it does not display this anymore, of course.

> > To use the switch off button, as a shutdown, I use the package acpid.
> > It watchs /proc/acpi/event to discover what happends with ACPI,
> > including the suspend and power buttons. So XDM is enough to power off
>
> Where is the 'suspend' on a inspiron 2500?  The blue suspend key (Fn-Esc)
> doesn't appear to send any signal that's caught by ACPI (but I'm just using
> the ACPI support in the kernel, not the latest patch - would the patch
> help?).
Yes it is Fn-Esc. And acpid *saw* when you press it via /proc/acpi/event.
Actually, I'm very embarassed. It did not see it anymore neither the lid
button that it also saw before. Same *new* trouble with the ac adapter
when I (un)plug it. Argh :(((( I'll check what I have done which changed
that.

> There is definitely no s2d partition on the i2500 as delivered.  I haven't
> been able to figure out _what_ Dell does on its 8100s with RedHat - but I
> imagine we can duplicate that with enough imagination :-)
Thanks. So I didn't miss anything. Ouf :)

> First, the 'firmware' supports those sleep levels, but afaik there's no
> software behind it to actually force a suspend.  In fact, on the acpi-devel
> list in the last couple of days Pavel Machek (one of the developers) said:
> "[If you say S4 works I'll not believe you, and if you say S3 works,
> I'll be very pleasently surprised. S1 has some chance of working.]"
>
> Just like apcid runs init when you press the power button, I think we'll
> need to supply the functionality to do the suspend to disk.  I haven't
> finished reading the acpi docs either...
>
> If you're interested in working with me on this, I'd suggest we keep trying
> and report back to this list and acpi-devel with our results.  We seem to be
> at a pretty similar point.
Yes, I thought the same. However, for the next weeks, I'm pretty (I start my
last exams tomorrow).

> I've just tried it.  Not having a dark room, I can't be certain it really
> powered off, but it blanked the screen. I know when my screen blanks
> normally (after 15 minutes of inactivity) it does _not_ power off.
Hum ? Switch off the light, by night, you'll know if the display is on
or off ! Actually, it seems that the contrast buttons does change
anything, and the bright buttons so few the brightness ...
And the display is pretty bright, anyway. A friend who also have a 2500
experienced the same.

I suppose I'll to try to apply directly this famous patch from
acpi.sf.net without waiting for integration in the kernel release.

@+

--
Baptiste Malguy      |  Mel: baptiste@malguy.net
_____________________|  Web: http://baptiste.malguy.net