Re: xfs file system - apparently for real men 8-)

I have a machine using ReiserFS on almost every release of linux kernel
between 2.4.5 and 2.4.13 and never had a problem.

However, I'm using ext3 on 2.4.16 on my laptop now.

ilia.

This is a little OT, but how well do XFS and reiserfs work with laptops? I am under the impression that reiserFS does not have good spin-down times, even when mounted with noatime and noflushd running. As I understand it, reiserFS bypasses the kernels delayed-write system, so noflushd has no effect. XFS does this too, I think, although I haven't tried it. Do any of you notice this when you run these filesystems, or is there a way to fix it? Right now I am just using ext3 on my laptop, but I have XFS on my desktop and am really happy with it. It 'feels' a lot faster.

Thanks,

Mike Gayeski
mrgayeski@students.wisc.edu