Re: thinkpad600e/networkcard

Thomas Vogels [tov@ece.cmu.edu] wrote:

> I have that card (netgear FA511) and failed to get it to work.  The
> card costs about $60 but to get it to work would be priceless...
>
> I use woody, kernel 2.4.14 (for xfs) and the latest pcmcia-cs (from unstable)
> along with tulip 1.1.8.  When I insert the card, I get an error
> message about no IRQ known for Pin A.
>
> Oddly, I get a similar error message on another machine (desktop with
> netgear 10/100 card), but the nic works.
>
> What configuration do you use?
> Does anybody know how to solve this IRQ issue (on a TP 600)?

well to get the card working I needed to add an entry to /etc/pcmcia/config

------
card "NetGear FA511C Fast Ethernet"
  pci 0x1317, 0x1985
  bind "tulip_cb"
------

this should be added near the other netgear (FA510C) cards for consistancy.
However this won't fix your problem.  My money is on you needing to edit
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts to tell pcmcia-cs to stop using some of the probably
already in use IRQ's (find from 'cat /proc/interupts').

However do you use the kernel pcmcia drivers or the pcmcia-cs pcmcia drivers,
if you can understand what I'm trying to say :)  I every now and again try to
get the kernel drivers working *properly* and all I can get them to do is
only work when I insert-remove-insert the card.  The card has to be put in
twice before it is noticed!  If I don't use the kernel drivers there is no
problem.

If you are having more problems send me a copy of the output of 'dmesg' and
/proc/interupts, /proc/ioports and anything else you like.

As for the XFS.....GOOD MAN :)  None of that 'girly-man' reiserfs crud :)
I'm running it too and everything is just peachy :)

Alex

BTW my card is actually a FA510C but my flatmate has a tp770x and a FA511C
and it works great (except for a small bug which is probably tp
related...but thats another story), the card runs fine on my laptop :)

--
/ Don't marry for money; you can borrow \